|Home | About Us | Map|
found at Ancestry.com
Genealogy Services Available.
Many gravesites are available.
(Effective August 1, 2016):
Full Graves: Blocks A,B,C: $ 750.00
Block D: $ 725.00
Veterans’ Field of Honor:
Block E; $ 700.00
Cremation Graves: $ 375.00
History Of Prospect Lawn Cemetery
The Town of Hamburg was officially started in 1812. The first settler, John Cummings, started a farm and grist mill near Eighteen Mile Creek several years before. As with any community, a burial ground was needed.
The first cemetery for the Town was located at what is now Union Street and Lake Street in the Village of Hamburg. The first recorded burial was that of John Cummings in 1827. The burials continued for many years. By the mid 1870’s, there was concern that the cemetery would soon be full. A group of local business people got together in 1878 to do something about the need for a new cemetery. They put together a board of directors. The first directors of the cemetery included: Hosea Heath, Joseph Shoemaker, Harvey S. Spencer (president), Milford Fish (treasurer), Wayne White, John Rittman, and Thomas L. Bunting (secretary).
Over several months, the directors worked to purchase land outside of the Village. This was accomplished with the purchase of ten acres of land on the east side of what is now called Gowanda State Road. The new cemetery was one mile from the original cemetery. The land was divided into circular sections. This arrangement made it easier for horses and buggies. The first burial was Antoinette Kelly who died of consumption and was buried September 29, 1878 (Section D). There was only one other burial in 1878.
Families were contacted regarding the removal of the remains from the original burial grounds. The remains that were not moved by the families were placed in wooden containers made by William Froehley (Section G), a local funeral director and cabinet maker. A total of fifty-six wooden containers and their grave markers were moved to Prospect Lawn in 1900. These graves are located in Section I, also known as “Slab City” behind the service building.
During the 1950’s, it was decided to fill in some of the roads between the circles to create additional grave space. The road between Sections C and D became Section Q; the road next to the mausoleum that intersected with the road between Sections C and D became Section J; the road between Sections B and G became Section S; and the road between Sections F and G extended the size of Section F. Section N (noted by large Gomez monument) was added to the side of Section E.
In early 1960, property on the west side of Gowanda State Road was purchased. This area was surveyed, and the first burial in Prospect Lawn Cemetery West was Walter King who was buried in Block C on July 22, 1961. The sections on the west side are referred to as Blocks: A and B (long areas of grass near Gowanda State Road), Block C (where the vast majority of graves are located), Block D (opposite Block C), and Block E (Veterans’ Field of Honor) where the flag pole and Legion monument are located. Blocks F and G are not currently surveyed for grave space. The entire cemetery (east and west) contains a total of about 18.5 acres.
Some other prominent people/families buried in the cemetery are: Many members of the Buxton family; a number of former Town Supervisors and Village Mayors; Dr. Alvah Lord and other physicians; Caroline and Alfred Houghton, the maternal grandparents of actress Katherine Hepburn; E. Howard Hunt, Jr. (Watergate infamy); Hamburg developers, the Sipprell family; other families whose names now appear as street names.
Civil War Veterans attend 1931
Memorial Day services at Prospect Lawn